Uricani is one of the many small towns in the Jiu valley (along the Jiu river) that became part of the emphasis on heavy industry of the communist regime after World War II. In this area, coal mining was the main industry, as was the steel industry. In 1947 , the first mine was opened in Uricani.
The workers were housed in mikrorayons with walk-up flats in the 1950s; in the 1960s prefab panel flats were added.
The population reached its top in 1992 (12.800) but has since declined to 8900.
The New Town is surrounded by the beautiful nature of the South Carpathians and several National Parks.