Stevenage, United Kingdom, Europe
 
 
Year1946latitude: 51° 55'
longitude: -0° 13'
PeriodMark 1
Initiator(s)
Planning organizationDevelopment Corporation
Nationality initiator(s)U.K.
Designer(s) / Architect(s)
Design organization
Inhabitants84,000 (2011)
Target population80,000
Town websitehttp://www.stevenage.gov.uk
Town related linkshttp://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page4614.asp
http://www.stevenage.gov.uk/council/dept-comm-services/comm-dev/themes.htm
Literature

type of New Town: > scale of autonomy
New-Town-in-Town
Satellite
New Town
Company Town
> client
Private Corporation
Public Corporation
> policy
Capital
Decentralization
Industrialization
Resettlement
Economic
 
"Stevenage was the first New Town to be designated under the New Towns Act 1946. Located in Hertfordshire, it was one of the first-wave ‘ring towns’ designed to accommodate overspill from London and create a better environment in which to live and work. The pioneer New Town (which was nicknamed ‘Silkingrad’ by early protesters in reference to Lewis Silkin, Minister of Town and Country Planning) has developed into a town with a successful economy. Stevenage Borough is a tightly bound urban authority, and the urban area reaches up to the administrative boundary in many places, and, to the north-east, spreads across into the neighbouring North Hertfordshire District. This geography creates challenges for planning for housing growth today."

"Development Corporation: Aimed to provide for the growth of industry and commerce concurrently with population to provide local employment, and to provide accommodation primarily for those working in the town, to avoid Stevenage becoming a dormitory town. Development Corporation wound up 31 March 1980."

source: Town & Country Planning Corporation (TCPA)
https://www.tcpa.org.uk/stevenage

2017 - disclaimer